Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Why "Luv My Texture"?

It took me a long time to decide what the title of my blog would be because at first all I wanted to talk about was hair.  And then I wanted to talk about things like juicing and cooking healthy dishes.  And then I also wanted to talk about health and exercise, until I realized that I wanted to create a space to discuss the various things in my life that best represent me.

Here I am, a woman who grew up the oldest of seven. A bookworm - yes a nerd (and proud of it), who lived a childhood where I was more of a second parent than one of the kids (I know there are a lot of us out there like that). Growing up I didn't think I was a lot of things (pretty, interesting, outgoing... you know, someone that other people wanted to be around all the time - you know those kinds of people), but I knew I was smart, and I embraced it with the thought that being smart and making smart decisions was going to get me out of the hood and into a life where I had more control over the direction that my life would go in. My academic achievements were the only things I felt I had going for me, and so it was the only thing that I felt good about when I'd ask "What do I like about myself?"

I'm not a beauty queen, nor the smartest person in the room...the personal/social life hasn't been "all that", and I need to find a new apartment and job. BUT, I like me. How I got to this point is beyond me. Is it age? Is it experience? Is it not fighting myself anymore? - who knows. But I do know that I'm a good mom, a hard worker, a good friend, and a compassionate person. I like all my layers, even when I don't (just go with me on this... I'll try to explain it better later), and this blog is an opportunity to share a lot of the information, experiences and out-loud thoughts that make up those layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment