Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Homemade Acne treatment with Essential Oils

I have chronicled some of the plights I was having with my skin since I broke out a little over a month ago.  The acne came back as well as the blemishes, and I was at a loss and trying not to get extra upset.

Well, I did some research and also realized that I needed to replace my fresh aloe more often.  Another things that I am doing is incorporating more essential oils into my skin care routine.  Sure, of course I've been doing the oil cleansing method, but I looked into other oils and found a recipe that I have only tried once, but I am liking already.


This recipe calls for 1/4 cup aloe gel (I used fresh aloe from the leaf), 10 drops each of geranium, tea tree and lavender oil.

I cleansed my face and used a mild exfoliate before steaming my pores with a hot wash cloth and applying the mixture to my face.  Moments later my skin felt significantly cleansed and refreshed.   My pores looked nourished and the texture of my skin looked and felt stronger.  Since aloe had done such a great job with my skin in previous months, I will continue with this method in place of the oil cleansing method (which includes castor and extra virgin olive oil) and see what happens.  With that method, the results were to be witnessed the next morning, but with this aloe/essential oil mixture, I saw and felt results right away.  We'll see if this helps with the blemishes that have begun to reappear.  Stay tuned!

Here's a quick overview of these essential oils, from a sampler guide that I got from Whole Foods.

Geranium, Rose (Pelargonium graveolens)
  • excellent for all skin types, especially oily and acne prone
  •   anti-fungaland antiviral
  • blends well with rose, lavender, neroli, patchouli
Lavender, Spike (Lavandula latifolia)
  • anti-infectious properties
  • specific for acne, oily skin, and burns
 Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
  • antibacterial with excellent anti-fungal and antiviral properties
  • use directly on burns, abrasions, abscesses, acne, or wherever there is a sing of infection





No comments:

Post a Comment