Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Horrible Truths

The term "horrible truth" can almost be looked at as an oxymoron.  One word - horrible - has a completely negative connotation.  When one thinks of "horrible" I would guess things like hurricanes and layoffs and losses and even death come to mind.  But when one thinks of the word 'truth', one can easily assume that it is supposed to be a positive word because the 'truth' is supposed to set us free, right?  And freedom is supposed to be the ultimate status, right?  I think it's is a positive word, but that doesn't mean that 'the truth' always feels good.  For instance, if someone is a bitch, and it's a truthful assessment of one's behavior, then that's a good thing, right (the assessment, not the bitchiness)?  (As opposed to walking around BS'ing and saying that Sally is the nicest person in the world when really she's a heifer PMS'ing to the tenth power, 24-7.).

I think we are so protective of our feelings that more often than not, we want to force the truth to be positive just to make ourselves feel better.  I used to be that way.  It was my 'the glass is half full' force field.  But why can't the glass be half full with the truth, even if it tells us something that we dont necessarily want to hear?  Well, the new me just tries to take 'the truth' on the chin like a good (supposedly tough) Bronx girl.  Doesn't mean it don't hurt (it hurts like hell - that kind of pain always surprises me), but I'd rather skip going through months (sometimes years) of denial - a failing effort all to avoid 'being real with oneself.'  All the term 'horrible truth' means is 'this is the truth that you don't want to hear' and  I got the message.  It is what it is.

On another note, my son didn't like the after taste of the tzatziki sauce I made from scratch.  Well, what does he expect - I'm not Greek, but if he wants some rice & beans, or a southern or Caribbean dish, I can hook him up.  I'm good, but I'm not perfect, a fact proven every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment