Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I don't want to 'Think Like a Man!'

I ready Steve Harvey's book some time back, and while I "get" what he's saying, and that he may very well be right about many things, I don't want to think like a man. I want to think like ME, so I have to ask, "Why isn't that good enough?"

Look, I am no closer to figuring out the who's and what's and why's of dating, and I honestly wish I was like Johnny Mnemonic where I could just download information into my head and it is what it is, but like many others, I am a breathing, feeling WOMAN.

While we're all human beings, I'm not naive enough to believe that there aren't differences between the sexes - I'm too old not to accept that truth, however, I also know that after all the trials and tribulations that I've been through in my not-so-short lifetime, that I have earned 'thinking like ME' and not pushing aside my needs and feelings just to make things more comfortable another person who is not willing to be as giving in that department. Why are relationships a game like trying to see who will blink first? Isn't that a waste of time? Time that could be put to better use by living and enjoying together, or even time used to determine whether 'together' is actually not what you want or need?

I don't know everything, but here's what I think:
  • Love, while effortless (the emotion), in practice, can be just as exhausting, if not more so, than those Nalini Method classes I took a couple of weeks ago.
  • There is a fine line between being supportive of someone as they work through their issues, vs. being their emotional punching bag which leads to them driving you crazy (to quote Samantha from Sex and the City,  "I love you, but I love me more"
  • It's hard to give up - at least for me -but everyone has their maximum threshold
  • While I don't know what that "Hey Everybody! We're in love!" feeling is like, I believe in it (I guess it's akin to believing in a higher power)
  • Hibernating from the BS is not as bad as some folks make it out to be.
  • People over 35 years old can act like teenagers
  • You can miss what you never had.
  • Wine really is great
  • A real hug can cure almost anything
  • Look me in the eye and I know... for real... for sure...
  • Avoid looking me in the eye, and we already have a problem
  • You may not die physically from a broken heart, but your spirit can
  • Sometimes everything has to come crashing down in order for something new and better to be built up.
  • I don't know a damn thing.
It's not eloquent, but it's what I was thinking at the moment (actually, for the past few months or so). 
P.S. - I did enjoy the fantasy...ooops, I meant, "movie!"

No comments:

Post a Comment